Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Flashback - Vinh Long

We left HCMC at 8am and traveled to Vinh Long. The drive was fairly easy. Very familiar and pretty quick. Ben slept 2 of 4 hours. That worked out great - he was up and in a great mood when we arrived.

Our first stop was the hospital where Ben was born. I am so grateful to be able to add photos and details of his physical place of birth to his life book. The building was large and worn. It was totally gated and when I approached to photograph the building closer - I was told to leave. The street like all the other streets - heavy traffic and rows of store fronts. There were many people wandering around the outside grounds. The building had large windows which had piles of supplies stacked in them. There was no way of knowing where the baby section was located. We are told that the women give birth in a large room, all together.

From there we went to lunch. There was a black bear in a cage outside the restaurant. Ben was, of course, thrilled with the bear and not interested in eating anything. Who could blame him - he had just eaten 4 cookies.

Next, we went to the orphanage where Ben lived for the first 16 months of his life. The nannies where thrilled to see him - to say the least. It was wonderful to see their smiles and how they were obviously touched that we brought him to visit. We brought candy for the toddlers and older children. That was a huge hit and helped get Ben warmed up to the situation. He loved playing on their riding toys. We took a zillion pictures.

It was hot. We are tired. It was so worth it!
Vinh Long Orphanage, Dec 2006


Today, June 17, 2008


Vinh Long Hospital

7 comments:

Heather M. said...

Love It!! To see the before & now is awesome! I know the nannies were thrilled!! Ben looks great...what a little world traveler! Glad you had a great day...get some rest!!

Heather M.

Nadra said...

I'm sure it was a huge blessing for the nannies to see Ben. I'm so happy that you were able to see the hospital where he was born. A great piece of information for him in the future. Can't wait until tomorrow when he meets his little brother!!!

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

WOW!! What a fantastic day that must have been. Also... one big room laboring together... yipes! And what an incredible gift to give the nannies. I can't imagine how great it must be for them to see on of their kids with his family, happy and well adjusted.

: ) Thinking about it makes me smile.

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

AWESOME! I just love that you guys were able to take Ben back to visit his roots. You guys look so happy in the pictures. I just love your family! I can't wait to see pictures of the family of FOUR!!

Chuck and Jean Anne said...

How incredible! I bet the nannies where beside themselves. Great seeing pics of Minh...what a great man.

Can't wait to read about your Can Tho adventures!

Cathy said...

How cool to visit the hospital and orphanage (I think Nicholas was born in the same hospital)! It must have been surreal to be back there, like so long ago but yesterday at the same time. Did Ben seem to remember it? Someday we hope to visit the orphanage again too. I am excited to see pictures of Liam tomorrow!
Cathy, Joe and Nicholas

Anonymous said...

It is so neat that you guys were about to travel back to Vinh Long!! I long to be there so badly!!